In the EBD Blog
Interested in Transitions® Light Intelligent Lenses™, but still want to brush up your knowledge with some research? Let EyeBuyDirect give you the low-down on the many pros of prescription Transitions® glasses (as well as the very few cons).
Are Transitions® lenses good?
Transitions® lenses are really good. They give you all of the benefits of traditional vision corrective lenses… but with an on-the-go UV light protection bonus! Walking outdoors in the sun? The lenses will darken to block incoming UV rays. If you walk indoors? The lenses will become clear and transparent again. Basically, you’ll never how to worry about fishing your sunglasses out of your bag again.
How long will Transitions® lenses last?
Transitions® lenses last as long as a traditional pair of vision correction glasses, if not longer. You can expect a pair of adaptive Transitions® glasses to retain their effectiveness for 3 years or more. After that time period, you may notice that it may take longer for the lenses to switch between its dark tinted and clear modes. Another sign of them wearing out is a yellowish tint at the very edges of the lenses.
What is the average cost of Transitions® lenses?
Transitions® lenses cost as low as $100. Considering how affordable EyeBuyDirect’s frames are, that’s a steal! Looking to pick up a pair of Transitions® lenses for even cheaper? We also carry special frame packages that automatically include Transitions® lenses for a cheaper price. Come check out our sleek selection of progressive Transitions® packages right here.
Do Transitions® lenses have UV protection?
Transitions® lenses have UV protection. When Transitions® glasses darken in reaction to the sun’s rays, the tint they take on has UV protection properties that can rival the best traditional sunglasses. It’s an easy way to effortlessly protect any sun-related eye issues, such as cataracts.
Do Transitions® lenses come polarized?
Transitions® lenses do not come polarized. However, they DO provide many of the same benefits as top-quality polarized sunglasses. So yes, they block out haze and glares! With a good pair of Transitions® lenses, you can say goodbye to squinting. However, take note: they’re not as effective as polarized sunglasses in driving situations. Since Transitions® sunglasses work depending on the amount of light in your surroundings, they don’t shift or change as quickly when you’re inside of a car due to your car’s windshield absorbing most natural light..
Can I get Transitions® lenses with a bifocal prescription?
The answer is yes, and no. While EyeBuyDirect does offer photochromic lenses for bifocal lenses, we do not offer their higher-quality counterpart: adaptive Transitions® lenses.
What color do Transitions® lenses come in?
Transitions® lenses come in two classic colors. At EyeBuyDirect, you can find them in gray and brown tints.
Want to learn more about our adaptive Transitions® lenses? Take a look here for more information on how you can take the next step in protecting your eyes.
What are the benefits of Transitions® Drivewear® lenses compared to regular sunglasses?
Transitions® Drivewear® lenses combine two advanced technologies: Transitions® photochromic technology and NuPolar® polarization technology.
Transitions® Drivewear® lenses reduce glare through polarization and help to enhance and protect vision through photochromics which respond to both visible and UV light.
A study completed by our external research partner shows that: Wearers experience increased visual comfort with Transitions® Drivewear®.1
How do Transitions® Drivewear® lenses compare to clear?
Transitions® Drivewear® lenses provide maximum protection against UV rays and are polarized to reduce glare. The color of Transitions® Drivewear® lenses varies according to the intensity of the light.
A study completed by our external research partner shows that: Wearers perceive less glare with Transitions® Drivewear® than with a clear or regular gray sun lens. 2
How do Transitions® Drivewear® lenses compare to polarized sunglasses?
- Transitions® Drivewear® lenses are designed for driving and outdoor activities.
- The color of Transitions® Drivewear® lenses varies according to the intensity of the light to optimize color contrast in changing daylight conditions, even behind the windshield.
- A study completed by our external research partner shows that: Those wearing Transitions® Drivewear® experience a 15% improvement in reaction times when moving into a darker light environment compared to when wearing a polarized lens. 3
How can Transitions® Drivewear® provide a better vision experience?
- Transitions® Drivewear® is the only polarized lens for driving with color and light adaptation.
- By combining the strengths of two impressive eyewear technologies, Transitions® Drivewear® adapts to light in the car and outdoors, helping to keep glare off the road and car hood for an optimized driving experience.
Does Transitions® Drivewear® improve comfort while driving and provide an overall better vision experience?
- Transitions® Drivewear® adaptive lenses have a high-efficiency polarizer which blocks blinding glare both outdoors and behind the windshield, for a more comfortable drive. A study completed by our external research partner shows that: Wearers experience increased visual comfort with Transitions® Drivewear® when driving compared to a clear and standard gray sun lens.1
- In fact, another consumer study with an online UK retailer about Transitions® Drivewear® and the benefits of the product compared to other lenses found that: Almost 90% of people wear Transitions® Drivewear® as a replacement for traditional sunglasses.4
What is color adaptation and What does it do for the consumer?
- Transitions® Drivewear® lenses color and darkness continuously adapt to optimize color contrast in changing daylight conditions, even behind the windshield.
- Transitions® Drivewear® lenses adapt with three colors:
- Olive Green: For low light situations. It maximizes useful light information reaching the eye and reduces glare that would otherwise impact vision.
- Copper: For day driving in bright light situations. Reduces excess light and provides good traffic signal recognition by highlighting the contrast between reds and greens.
- Brown: For outdoor activities. It provides maximum filtration of excess light and maximum comfort outdoors like a sun lens in high light conditions.
- A consumer study with an online UK retailer on Transitions® Drivewear® and the benefits of the product compared to other lenses shows that 90% of wearers appreciate the greatest benefits of Transitions® Drivewear® in bright sunshine.4
How do Transitions® Drivewear® lenses provide a safer driving experience?
- Transitions® Drivewear® lenses are designed especially for driving and outdoor activities.
- A study completed by our external research partner shows that: The dynamic contrast of moving vehicles in peripheral vision increases by +27%5 while wearing Transitions® Drivewear®.
- In fact, this same study shows that Wearers wearing Transitions® Drivewear® experience a 15% improvement in reaction times when moving into a darker light environment compared to when wearing a polarized lens. 3
How dark does a Transitions® Drivewear® lens get in the car and outdoors?
- The darkness of Transitions® Drivewear® lenses depends on exposure to sunlight and current temperature. Transitions® Drivewear® lenses are category 2 lenses in the car with a copper tint. And outdoors, Transitions® Drivewear® lenses darken to a category 3 sun lens with a brown tint. Transitions® Drivewear® lenses remain fully polarized regardless of sunlight exposure.
Does Transitions® Drivewear® protect the eyes from UV?
- Transitions® Drivewear® lenses block 100% of UVA and UVB and are the only lenses that combine NuPolar® polarizing technology and Transitions® photochromic technology.
- The lens darkens and changes color according to sunlight conditions helping to provide dynamic protection for your eyes in many light situations.
What tests have been carried out with Transitions® Drivewear®?
- Transitions® experts have worked with external entities on two significant studies.
- A consumer study with an online UK retailer on Transitions® Drivewear® interviewing 205 respondents on the benefits of the product compared to other lenses.
- And a study with an external research partner done in collaboration with Transitions® R&D experts.
1. Compared to a clear and standard gray sun lens. Studies by external research partner in the UK (n= 48) in 2021 & 2022. 2. Compared to a clear and standard gray sun lens. Studies by external research partner in the UK (n= 48) in 2021 & 2022. 3. Compared to a clear, polarized and standard gray sun lens. Source: Studies by external research partner in the UK (n= 48) in 2021 & 2022. 4. Source: Transitions® Drivewear® consumer survey (N=205) 5. Compared to a clear and standard gray sun lens. Studies by external research partner in the UK (n= 16) in 2021 & 2022.